CELEBRATING THE NEW
ROBERT L. BURNS PARK
Dedication of improvements and plaque unveiling
Los Angeles - The Department of Recreation and Parks celebrated the completion of the improvement project and unveiling of a memorial bronze plaque at Robert L. Burns Park on September 23, 2010.
Park upgrades included new playground equipment, water fountains that comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, decomposed granite pathways, fencing, a new water system and restrooms. The Department of Water and Power funded a portion of the project which replaced the entire water system with a smart irrigation system.
The $270,000 project was funded by developer fees. RAP Planning and Construction designed the improvements and performed the work. In addition, the Greater Wilshire Neighborhood Council provided benches and trees, and the Windsor Square - Hancock Park Historical Society painted the exterior fence and paid for and will maintain the plaque, which will serve as a monument to Robert L. Burns.
Robert L. Burns (1876-1956) served as City Council President and representative of the Fourth District from 1931 to 1945. He was also President of the Board of Recreation and Park Commissioners. Burns was known for championing the City he loved and for his strong leadership during war time and economic crisis. The park was named for him in 1959 in honor of his 30 years of public service.
Robert L. Burns Park is located in the Hancock Park area at 4900 Beverly Blvd, Los Angeles 90004. For more information on this location please call (213) 202-2700 or visit the Department website at http://www.laparks.org/.
Andrea Epstein: (213) 202-2690
Amy A. Garcia: (213) 202-2689